On June 18th, I leave for Ethiopia. While I'm there, I'll be visiting, speaking, and teaching in various places. First, I will take multiple flights from LAX, to San Francisco, to Frankfurt, to Addis Ababa taking around 25 hours of travel. When I arrive, the time will be 10 hours later than Pacific Standard Time.
After some time to recover, I will be the main speaker for two different commencement services. From there, I will present on Leadership in the Church for a seminar in Bahar Dar. I look forward to making some friends, encouraging our brethren in Ethiopia, and learning about the history and culture.
To learn just a little bit about Ethiopia, I greatly encourage you to visit Wiki Travel's article
. I was blown away by the history of this place! It's not just a place that showed up on charity comercials back in the 80s, it is one of the most facinating places in the world!
Some of the things I plan on seeing include:
- Queen of Sheba’s bath and palace.
- Excavated tombs and the country’s most revered church - St. Mary of Zion ( where legend says the Ethiopian orthodox church keeps the original ark of covenant)
- The Obelisk of Axum
- The churches in the Lalibela area
- 17th century castle compound in Gondar
- The church of Debre Berhan Selassi
Don't worry, I'll be posting pictures as soon as I can. Also, I hope to hold a presentation for the church and community to share the experience.